Thursday, September 27, 2018

I Can't Believe It Part 2

I would like to take a moment to speak to all my young male friends ... Whatever you do ... Do not ever, and I mean ever, wish to be surrounded by women all day. I know when you're young, that sounds like a great idea, I get it. In fact, I am giving you this advice because I probably did that sometime in my teenage years. But, be careful what you wish for, because ... you just might get it. My staff are all women, sounds great right? Think again, all nine of them are over the age of 50.  Give that some thought.

And now more stories from the geriatric ward.

So, I don't have a single good story that is long enough to warrant it's own post. As a result I have decided to write a post of little vignettes of the fun that is my work life.

Let us pick up where we left off, and talk about the Bookkeeper. This morning I was entering yesterdays sales numbers and I noticed a discrepancy in my deposit. Personally, I blame the calculator, that's my official story, and I'm sticking to it. Anyway, I called over to the North Campus to inform the Bookkeeper of the situation. However, when I called, no one answered the phone. After a few more unanswered phone calls, I sent her an email explaining the situation. About an hour latter, I get a call. Surprise, surprise, it's the Bookkeeper, and she is calling to tell me that I should have called her instead of sending an email. My response, "Yeah, I tried that, several times. No one answered the phone." Can you believe it?

Staying with money and counting ... I have one cashier that takes an unusual amount of time to count her till at the end of the night. I kid you not, it takes her close to 20 minutes. For comparison, my head cashier counts all three in the morning and it takes her ten minutes. It takes me about 30 minutes at the end of the day to count all three and do the deposit. One day last week, her math is wrong, not the end of the world, it happens. I call her into the office, point out the mistake and have her redo the deposit sheet for her till. Problem solved, sort of. The next day, her math is wrong again, so I have her correct it. I come back 10 minutes later (all she had to do was correct the mistake) to verify her count, and it's wrong again, and now it's a different error. Fun times my friends, fun times. 

Another story about this particular cashier. You will no doubt hear many stories about her, so lets call her Patricia. Every now and then, we get auto-shipped product. Sometimes it's promotional, sometimes its a new product and occasionally, it's for a new menu item. Often if it's promotional, we will receive a display case.as well. A few weeks ago, we received two very large boxes from Cadbury, the chocolate company. Turns out, the boxes contain build-able displays and several boxes of chocolate bars to fill the display cases. Seeing as I do not have a lot of free floor space in my cafeteria, it is my habit to build one display case and use the product in the other box to refill that display case. After I build this particular display, I place it in the cafeteria and fill it with product. When Patricia sees it, she freaks out, "Oh my God, this is horrible." I ask her whats wrong, and she tells me, she can't possibly count all of that product for our weekly inventory. She tells me it's just too much to count and that she will need help. I swear every word of this story is true. I know it's hard to believe, but you honestly can not make this stuff up.

Another story about my boss. Last week I needed to have someone come in and take a look at some of our coffee equipment as there were a few issues. When this happens, I get a copy of the work order when the repairman leaves, and the invoice is sent to the North Campus about a week later. While inspecting our equipment, it was noted that we should replace the tank on one of our coffee machines. This particular repairman is very familiar with my store and thought the tank might still be under warranty and said he would look into it for me. So, of course, this is mentioned on the invoice. Upon receipt of said invoice, my boss emailed me a copy as per usual and he has a few questions, again not unusual. Now I think I have mentioned before that some people clearly do not thoroughly read what is put in font of them. I'm fairly confident most of you can guess what came next. Yep that's correct, my boss asks me why they replaced the tank. Now, keep in mind, we just replaced the tank on the other machine, so he should know the process and the cost. Patiently, I explain that the tank was not replaced, rather that he recommended that it be replaced and that he was going to check if it is still under warranty. For some strange reason, I did not get a response to that email. I wonder why?

Believe it.


No comments:

Post a Comment