Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Top Down Leadership

Follow this time line.

Just prior to the start of the school year, I get a call from our bookkeeper. She is asking me to reconcile my cash on hand. This is something we do at the start of each semester, as required by the company. For me this task involves counting the floats that make up our cashiers tills, petty cash in the safe, as well as the vending machine petty cash. Our vending machines are subcontracted to a vending machine supplier. Sometimes vending machines don't work like they should and we need to reimburse people when this happens. The following week, she calls and asks me to bring over the vending machine petty cash box, as the company is changing vending machine suppliers and we will no longer be responsible for reimbursements.

Late last week I get an email from my boss, telling me when the changeover will be taking place.  He has included the email from head office and of course, like a good employee, I read it. This is what it says "Please be advised that as we switch vending machine suppliers, our units will be swapped at all campuses (except for South Campus) and residence next week." Wait back up, South Campus is my Campus.

I call our bookkeeper and ask her about the changing of vending machines. The following conversation ensues:
Bookkeeper, "Yes, we are changing suppliers and will no longer be responsible for reimbursements."
Me, "But the original email clearly says 'Except South Campus."
Bookkeeper, "Are you sure?"
Me, "Yes, It clearly says, "Except South Campus."
Bookkeeper, "Let me pull up the email and see." After about 30 seconds, "Well, yes it does say that. I guess we will need to get you a vending machine float."

I still don't have a vending machine float, but that's not the point. Before that email got to me, my boss read it, and our bookkeeper read it, and neither of them noticed that it said, except South Campus. How does that get missed? Additionally, our bookkeeper tells me she has been on the phone all day with head office regarding this issue. And no one mentioned the fact that South Campus was not part or the swap out? Seriously?

Stay tuned for more stories about our bookkeeper ...

No comments:

Post a Comment