Monday, January 19, 2009

Amusing Amusement Park Stories Part II

I have one other story from my time at the large amusement park north of the GTA that I would like to pass along.

Latter that summer on a sweltering day I was told to go and clear tables. Despite the fact there were several garbage cans throughout the seating area, it was not uncommon for customers to leave their trays of half eaten food strewn across the tables. On occasion this would require one of us to clean the dinning area, if plastic tables and chairs qualify as dinning furniture. More like a cafeteria for pigs, although I’m not sure pigs would appreciate the comparison.

Over the years I have noticed there are some people who have no idea how to act in public. Some of these people suffer from a self centered view of the world that puts their needs above everyone else. Please, you are not the only guests in the restaurant, and they need my attention as much as you do! There is also that unique style of parenting that allows young children to run wild in public places. These people do not discriminate when it comes to location. Children are free to roam through movie theaters, banquet halls, amusement parks, and restaurants alike.

It is the latter group I would like to deal with at this time. I ventured out into no mans land, keeping an eye out for teenagers, and small children. Small children have an annoying habit of appearing out of nowhere at the most inopportune moments. Such was the case on this day. As I was cleaning tables I noticed a family with a couple of young children dinning on our fine culinary creations. As they were quiet and the children were seated, I put them out of my mind and went about the task of cleaning up. That turned out to be a mistake.

A few minutes latter I was clearing some trays when one of the youngsters suddenly appeared out of nowhere. This little guy slammed into me, causing me to bobble the trays I was holding. As a result, a cup full of pop toppled over and spilled on the child, soaking his white baseball cap and the back of his shirt. As you can imagine, the kid was at first shocked and then in tears. The father flew out of his seat and came towards us.

I was now face to face with an angry father and his whining son. The father accused me of intentionally dumping the pop on his son’s head. He tells me he saw the entire thing and that I should be ashamed of myself. I reply that if he saw what happened he should be the one ashamed, letting his son run wild. Perhaps this was not the best response. The father calls me a number of names, none of them friendly.

It is at this time my manager makes an appearance. Seeing an opportunity, the father goes off. He again claims I did it on purpose. He explains they just purchased the white cap the boy was wearing that morning and demands I pay for a new one. He even tells my manager to fire me. My manager tells the man he saw a very different series of events. He even takes it a step further, telling him to learn to control his kids. The father sensing he will get no relief gathers his family a leaves.

Chalk one up for the working stiffs.

Turns out several staff saw the entire thing and sent the manager out to save my sorry but. Everyone tells me their own similar war stories and we wonder why some people are allowed to procreate.

No comments:

Post a Comment